Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ancient Mexican Super Foods


I've been craving Butter lettuce or anything made with Kale or Chard. Dark leafy greens are not in abundance around here the way Iceberg lettuce is and I find myself longing for my River Dog Farm veggie box and the fresh produce from Geoff's garden.

Recently, however, I was introduced to a local shrub called Chaya; tagged as the Mayan miracle plant. It grows along the side of the road in San Pancho in front of the Zen center. I make it a point to harvest a few leaves after each yoga class and the woman who sells fruit was fascinated that I used it in my scrambled eggs. I'm in the process of sprouting some to plant in the back yard here and hopefully we will be able to harvest it here at Casa Joya along with the bananas, cocos, and papayas sometime soon.

Here is an article on the benefits of the Chaya plant.

The second craving was for flax seed oil, just a little sprinkle on a salad or in Quinoa. While researching the Chaya plant I found that the similarly pronounced Chia seed is an Aztec super food. I was able to find the small seeds during my last shopping excursion in Puerto Vallarta and now they go on top of everything we eat. I do wonder one can OD on Chia seed!

Here is an article on the benefits of the Chia seed.

And so the eat local challenge continues with new and exciting options around every corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment