Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fish, Pork or Chicken


Today as I approached my usual surf spot I noticed an unusual number of dead fish on the beach. Looking at the water, I realized there were 1000’s of dead fish floating there. Their white underbellies were floating above the surface of the water glowing in the morning light. There were so many dead fish that the seagulls were just eating their eyeballs and moving on the next fish. I guess that is the good part.

The waves were marginal, so I decided against paddling out. While this may seem like an obvious decision, the dead fish did not prevent lots of other people from surfing. In fact, Mexican fishermen, floating in inner tubes, were collecting the dead fish to eat.

Swine flu, thus far, hasn’t become an issue in our area of the country (or so we read). It is truly difficult to get an accurate idea of the risk through all the hype. From the ground it looks like it usually does with the exception that some people are wearing masks. Today there were actually fewer masks than yesterday and most masks appear to spend more time around the wearer’s neck than their mouth. There seems to be an ongoing background dread, not knowing what is really up or how bad it will get, it kind of limits the party so to speak.

On a lighter note, they were selling these brightly-dyed chicks in the market for Easter. I don’t know why but I love colored chicks.




2 comments:

  1. But do they taste like marshmallow peeps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't know why but I love colored chicks." Nice.

    ReplyDelete